|Sagamore Hill, Photograph taken by Meredith Maus|
The pain-staking renovation may not be noticeable to returning visitors - and this is exactly the point.
All of the books, hunting trophies, and furniture were removed from the massive three-story and 28 room mansion during the renovation - which included replacing the roof, repairing the foundation, and rewiring the home's electrical system - and then replaced exactly where they had been.
|Sagamore Hill National Historic Site during Renovation|
Photograph by Meredith Maus
"We hope that if he walked
through the front door right
now, he would think he was
back during the presidential
- Susan Sarna
The home is now slated to open its doors again to the public and a grand re-opening celebration has been organized by the staff to commemorate this momentous occasion!
Come one, Come All!
To the Re-opening Celebration & Family Festival!
Sunday, July 12, 2015 starting at 10 am
- Reopening address to be presented by Roosevelt family members, public officials, and an appearance by Theodore Roosevelt (portrayed by James Foote)
- 10 AM - Tale of Two Teddies - Children's book author, Kathleen Bart will be signing books in the book store
- 11 AM to 4 PM - Children's Activities
- Arts & Crafts
- Old-Fashioned Games
- Pony Rides
- Rough Rider Enlistment
- 1 PM - "Rough Riders" Cavalry Demonstration
- 2 PM - Sagamore Hill Band - Under the direction of Steve Walker
- 11 AM to 4 PM - Other Performances Demonstrations & Services
- Long Island Band Organ under direction of Michael Falco
- Interactive Photobooth provided by Baltimore Photo Social
- Historic Carriages displayed by Paumanok Driving Club
- Antique Automobiles displayed by Long Island Sound Region: Classic Car Club
- Food & Refreshements will be available through vendors on site
Sagamore Hill's gateway community - Oyster Bay - is also busy prepping for the event. Trolly service will be available from the LIRR station and other parking locations in the downtown to Sagamore Hill to help cut down on congestion at the hill. Great restaurants and businesses will be open for those interested in making it a whole day affair!